So I decided to do a movie post. I know, I know, typical, but they are common for a reason. They’re easy and fun to write, and they’re fun to read. So read on to find out what’s on my silver screen.
Eight Favorites (These aren’t my TOP EIGHT, they’re just some that are in my top 30 or so, and, they’re not in order of favorites.)
- MARY POPPINS: Not only is she, but the movie itself is “practically perfect in every way”. Delightful. Happy. Emotional. Musical. Funny. What else do you need? There wasn’t even a romance and it’s still one of the best movies in the universe.
“Childhood slips like sand through a sieve… and all too soon they’ve grown up, and then they’ve flown.”
- SOUL SURFER: Wow, this movie was a lot to take in. I loved it the first time I watched it, but I had to watch it several more times before I truly understood how wonderful it is.
“Love is bigger than any tidal wave and more powerful than any fear.”
- PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (This is the 2005 version I am talking about, by the way): You all know why I love it. It’s odd that I do though, I really don’t like Darcy’s actor, or Kiera Knightly very much at all, but this is a fabulous movie. I especially like Jane and Bingly, but I even like Kiera, she did a good job in her role. And Mr. Collins is just… oh gosh, the weirdest!
“It’s been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.”
- CINDERELLA (2015): What an incredibly beautiful movie. I actually find it a tad bit boring, but it’s so lovely. I love Prince Kit, and the King, and their relationship. The costumes, etc. Everything was just wonderful.
“Where there is kindness, there is goodness and where there is goodness, there is magic.”
“Just because its what IS done doesn’t mean it’s what SHOULD be done.”
- THE PATRIOT: Not suggesting this movie for people who would have to see it without filters. But if you take out the language and violence, it is one of the most emotional movies I have ever seen. I love the movies/books that take place during the Revolutionary war, but this is so real, and so touching. The romance, action, and story arks are fantastic. This movie is one of those (there’s quite a handful, actually) that are so special to me, I can only watch them every few years, with the right people, at the right time, in the right circumstance, when I’m in the right mood. Not to mention it has Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger.
“I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me and the cost is more than I can bear.”
- CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE: Does this one need any explanation? I’m sure you all love it, too. This is in my top three favorite movies of all time.
“It’s our sister, sir.”
“The weeping girl.”
“Yes, sir, she’s upset.”
“Hence the weeping.”
- YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU: You might not have heard of/seen this one, but it is a classic. Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur. Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor, and it has some other ‘goodies’ from the ol’ days, too. The story line, the fun, the ending, all of it is just so light-hearted and nice.
“Just a lovely, average girl.”
“That’s all I want.”
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: I feel a little stupid for having a superhero movie on the list, but, at least it’s one that’s set in the 1940’s and has morals and all. Not only is Steve pretty much dreamy, but he actually has standards, etc.
“We stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or consequences.”
- In case you’re curious, my favorite Disney Princess movies are Tangled and Beauty and the Beast. (And Enchanted if you count that)
- The Bourne movies and Air Force One are my favorite action type movies.
- The Island and The Giver are my favorite ‘futuristic’ movies.
- Age of Addeline, You’ve Got Mail, and Return to Me are my favorite ‘chick flicks/romances.
- Oh, and From Time to Time, Kicking and Screaming, Prince of Egypt, Little Women, and Kung Fu Panda are some other great movies.
So, yep, that’s a brief (I’m sure it didn’t seem brief, but it was for me, I mean, you get me talking and I talk) overview of my tastes in movies. Hope you liked it.