Time didn’t fly by this year, in fact it often seemed painfully slow, but at the same time, it seems as if my sweet 16 was just the other day.
Today I turn s e v e n t e e n. And no, I don’t feel ancient or anything. Honestly I had to remind myself once or twice that I wasn’t going to be a year older than that. Seventeen doesn’t seem very old, so I’m ready.
It’s also my golden birthday! 17 on the 17th! *throws confetti* huzzah.
Since I’ve not got any idea of what do do for this post, I shall simply share 17 things with y’all.
1. I’ve finally realized that you really do only get to be a kid once. And soon that’s going to be over and I am going to have to start (yikes) adulting. That’s pretty intimidating, since I’m staring down two completely different routes I want to take job wise.
2. /’When I was seventeen, my mother said to me “Don’t stop imagining. The day that you do is the day that you die”‘/ (17 by Youth Lagoon). This is pretty sound advice. Imagination and creativity is what makes life possible and worth living. Blogging, writing, photography, everything, takes imagination and creativity.
3. I am enough on my own, and that’s really hard to accept sometimes, and accepting it won’t get easier, but it’s steadily becoming more and more important for me to remember. I’m enough.
4. If you live life asking yourself the question, “would Tom Hiddleston be proud of me if I did this?” there’s a chance you will become a beautiful human being.
5. Being brave is really, really, really hard, but generally it is completely worth getting past whatever you’re afraid of.
6. I have a really hard time remembering to do things. So high-five to me for remembering to put this post up.
7. Clearing things out is really helpful. Your brain, your closet, your Pinterest boards. It’s like taking a deep breath of fresh air. Although it usually takes me a few days to successfully clear anything.
8. I hate having to be productive. But I feel so good when I finally do something. This is one of my number one struggles. This is probably not one of those moments where I’m supposed to shrug and say “life goes on”, but…
9. Go places. I love going places, to the chagrin of my parents. I like going on trips to visit my friends, I enjoy driving and flying in airplanes, and I almost always enjoy the process of getting somewhere as much as I enjoy being at the place.
10. Hold on to the nostalgic and beauty in life. Little things that stir your soul, s make you sigh with content at the loveliness of life.
11. I need to stop giving up on myself and what I do. That poetry I think is stupid? It might turn out ok. The song I’m singing? It might actually sound nice. The pictures I take? They might actually be pretty. The new dress I got? It might actually look nice on me. And even if I fail at stuff, I can always try again.
12. “Don’t give up on your dream, unless your dream is stupid.” ~Kid President I mean there’s nothing to add.
13. Play more music, listen to more music, sing more music. Music is all life.
14. Life is what you make it.
15. Alone time is really important. But spending time with friends and family is also important.
16. Have fun. Be creative. Let go and let live. Be yourself but be the best version of yourself.
17. “You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen” (dancing queen by ABBA). 17 is still young, I’m not hardened by the world, and I should take this year as my last year of freedom from true, heavy responsibilities (not that I don’t have stuff to do). I’ve always heard that dancing away your cares is a good thing to do. And since I love dancing (I’m awful at it tho) I shall try to dance more often. Swing dance with my friends, pretend I’m a talented tap dancer, and just dance around my room.